Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm Here!

It's been almost a week since I've arrived in Amsterdam, and I finally feel more or less settled enough to tell you all about it. Now that I have finally acquired a phone, pillow, blanket, and know where my classes are...it seems like a good time to update.

Amsterdam is beautiful. It makes getting lost not so bad, which is lucky since I am lost A LOT. Fortunately, I have learned that once you're wandering somewhere in the city and don't know where you are or where to go, it is really easy to take a tram to Centraal Station, and then I know where I am!

I had my first class today, I am one of only 2 American students in a class of 16. It's in English though, which I first thought would be an advantage when writing papers and such, but everyone else speaks perfect English, of course. I came to class completely unprepared...no paper or pen. I was hoping to buy them on my way to class, but apparently nothing is open at 9am on Mondays. Luckily, the nice Dutch girl next to me let me borrow a paper and pen. I had heard right, the Dutch are all SO nice...and tall. I have never felt so normal sized in my life.

This weekend was really fun, we went out to bars, clubs, coffeeshops, even the red light district (awkward, I was the only girl not in a window in the entire area...). I also love that I basically turned 21 six months early...I purchased my first bottle of wine on Saturday! It was called Fat Bastard, and I drank the whole thing except for 2 small glasses that I gave away. That was kind of a mistake...but it was my first legally purchased alcohol? And I'm in Europe...so it's ok? Karlee, you understand... :)

Sidenote...Abby, no spacecake stories yet...but you will be the first to know.

Today I'm going to look for a bike. I'm kind of nervous, biking is so intense here. There are special lanes, rules, and since I don't know where I'm going most of the time, I don't think its going to be easy for me. Also, biking home drunk will be an adventure to say the least...But I'm so excited to get used to biking around the city because it will make everything so much easier (and less expensive)...plus it looks really fun!

I haven't had time to be online much, and now my internet in my room doesnt work, so that sucks. But hopefully it will be fixed soon so I can talk to some of you...and SKYPE! Miss you allll :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Tanya! It all sounds so exciting! Haha I love that you feel normal sized, I'd probs feel pretty short over there :) Miss you, love you, skype me when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete