Sunday, March 29, 2009

Visitors and Sun

Two things that light up my life!! hahah so its been awhile so I thought I should start off as corny (cornily?) as possible. Lots has been happening, March literally flew by and I can't believe its almost April. The highlights, as the title of this post clearly states, have been my visitors who just left today and the sun. I'll start with the visitors.

So Eurofest 09 (we decided that if there are at least 3 of us in a place that involves getting fucked up...may have made up that second part...but anyway if there are 3 of us it can be called a fest) finally happened. Funny to think that I was informed that Avery and Zhanna would be arriving in Amsterdam on March 27th before I even got here. But it came and went faster than I cant believe. Friday we went to the Heineken Experience, which I had heard bad things about but it was actually pretty fun. Especially the room where you sit and watch Heineken commercials that surround you!!! Haha just kidding that part was useless...but the rest was pretty cool. Then I took the group (9 Pitt people total) to the Red Light District, and then Barneys, one of the few places where you can drink and smoke in the same place. However, milkshakes seemed more appetizing than beer to everyone at the moment. The next day we went to the Anne Frank house, pancake bakery, and Van Gogh (my second time, but obviously I can't get enough of the guy. I have even started saying his name the proper Dutch way.. Van Ho-HHGGHHH. Thats a throaty H sound in case you were wondering). Saturday night they all wanted to watch the Pitt game (ouch), and to my surprise they were actually playing it a sports cafe in Leidesplein. It was showing after the Scotland-Holland soccer game, so the entire bar was filled with people in kilts (as was the rest of the city) singing various traditional Scottish songs, intermixed with Sweet Caroline and Mr. Brightside. It was quite a scene. Sunday we went on a boat tour, where we saw another boat named the "Anne Frank" and said LOVERS on the front. Whoeever thought of that one has lots of taste...

Oh and we also partook in Amsterdam's favorite pastime pretty much nonstop throughout the weekend. Best quote I've ever heard: "My favorite part of being high is that no one really listens to anyone, everyone just talks to themselves"

Besides for visitors, my other favorite part of this month has been the sun. I don't think I saw it for more than 15 minutes at a time all of February, so it has been quite a change to see it for hours, even days, at a time. Its funny how much of a difference the weather affects moods, but I have been constantly happy the days that the sun is shining. Riding my bike around is so much more fun, and I'm much more motivated to get outside and explore the city. I'm really going to miss living in a place where I can always discover an area I have never seen before, but still know how to get home.

This weekend my mom and sister come, and on Tuesday we are going to Barcelona!! April may fly by even faster than March...

2 comments:

  1. um, didn't you learn from last time? NO BIKING HAPPILY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha ohhh Tanya I love you so...

    ReplyDelete